Welcome to First Grade with Miss Huhtanen
I want to make sure that everyone has read Mr. Scott's parent update and is aware that next week is Read Across America week. Students are encouraged to dress up in a daily theme! The theme of the day is determined by the book we are reading to the kids on that day.
- Monday- Green Eggs and Ham Day (wear something green to school)
- Tuesday- Fox in Socks Day (wear mismatched socks or your favorite crazy socks)
- Wednesday- Wacky Wednesday (wear mismatched clothes to school)
- Thursday- One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish Day (wear your favorite color shirt)
- Friday- The Lorax Day (help clean up your house and/or community)
There is no school Friday.
- 8:00-8:45 Morning Meeting & SEL
- 8:45-9:15 Phonics
- 9:15-10:00 Reading Centers
- 10:00-10:10 Read Aloud/ Movement Break
- 10:10-10:55 Language Arts
- 11:00-11:30 Lunch
- 11:35-12:00 Recess
- 12:05-12:10 Rest/ Bathroom
- 12:10-12:55 Whole Group Math
- 1:00-1:45 Specials
- 1:50-2:35 Math Centers
*Effective Monday, February 3rd*
- Monday- Art
- Tuesday- Gym
- Wednesday- Informational Literacy
- Thursday- Exploratory (taught by Mrs. Burns in February)
- Friday- Music
Books and Riddles
Scholastic online book order code: TXTYN
What do the classroom computers eat for snack?
What goes up when the rain comes down?
A: An umbrella
What goes around the yard without moving?
A: A fence
What can you put in a glass, but never take out?
A: A crack
What has bark, but makes no noise?
A: A tree
What has hands, but can't hold anything?
A: A clock
First Grade Practice
Online Practice at Home:
(Login information was sent home)
- Reading: Lexia
- Math: Freckle
- Tying your shoes
- Fry's First 100 Sight Words
- Listing nouns, adjectives, and verbs
- Writing numbers to 120
- Counting to 120
- Counting by 10s
- Counting by 5s
- Counting by 2s
- Days of the week
- Months of the year
Discuss Essential Questions:
Lesson 1- What is important about being a friend?
Lesson 2- What happens during a storm?
Lesson 3- Why is going to school important?
Lesson 4- Who can you meet in a neighborhood?
Lesson 5- What happens on a train?
Lesson 6- What lessons can you learn from story characters?
Lesson 7- How do animals communicate?
Lesson 8- How is music a part of everyday life?
Lesson 9- What makes a story or poem funny?
Lesson 10- How can you show a friend that you care about him or her?
Lesson 11- What kinds of plants and animals would you find in the ocean?
Lesson 12- How are jungle animals different from animals on a farm?
Lesson 13- What changes do different seasons cause?
Lesson 14- Why is it important to have rules?
Lesson 15- What makes birds different from mammals?
Lesson 16- What do astronauts do?
Lesson 17- What are some different ways to travel?
Lesson 18- What do farmers need to grow food?
Lesson 19- Why is it important to learn about people from the past?
Lesson 20- How can you help a friend who feels sad?
Lesson 21- What grows in a garden?
Lesson 22- Why do some animals have spots or stripes?
Lesson 23- How can you take good care of a pet?
Lesson 24- What happens to a tree as it grows?
Lesson 25- What can you learn from someone who is from another country?
Lesson 26- What are some different ways to make art?
Lesson 27- Why is it important to try your best?
Lesson 28- How can weather change your day?
Lesson 29- How can insects be helpful?
Lesson 30- Why is teamwork important in school or sports?